Users can still operate even when there is no server or network access thanks to OST (Offline Storage Table) files, which locally save a copy of mailbox data on the server. The file keeps every mailbox item on the hard disc, including emails, contacts, sent items, calendars, notes, and journals. You can still quickly create, modify, save, or delete emails when Outlook is offline. Every time you connect to the Exchange Server, all these modifications are automatically synchronized. The ost to pst cannot be relocated or transferred to another account since it is attached to the account in which it was produced.
Alternatively, the PST (Personal Storage Table) file is another Outlook data file that is made with POP3 accounts and holds email messages, contacts, calendars, tasks, journals, and other mailbox objects. Moving the PST to another Outlook profile is simple. This file is also used as a backup.
Why is it necessary to convert an OST file to a PST format?
Even though it is typically not necessary to convert OST to PST, there are situations when you are forced to convert OST files to PST format. Here are some frequent circumstances when it is crucial to convert OST to PST:
- Exchange Server Crashes: Exchange Server might fail suddenly for several reasons, including a malware infection, internal problems, etc. Until the connectivity is restored, you are unable to connect to the Exchange Server and view the mailbox data. In such circumstances, you can retrieve your mailbox data by converting the OST file to PST format.
- Data Migration – You cannot migrate Outlook mailbox data (OST) straight to another account or machine because the OST file cannot be viewed from a different account. Converting an OST file to a PST file is required in this situation.
- Reduce the Size of the OST File: Large OST files are more susceptible to corruption. Data can be transferred from an OST file to a PST format to minimize the file size.
- Exchange Server Maintenance – During Exchange Server maintenance, you are unable to view your mailbox data. You can convert OST to PST file format when it becomes crucial to have access to the data while the system is being maintained.
- Organizational Switching – Even if you have the OST file, you cannot access the data when you move to a different organization. You must convert the OST file into PST format to retrieve the stored mailbox data.
How Can an OST File Be Converted to PST Format?
Corrupt Mailboxes Data in mailboxes become inaccessible when the OST file becomes corrupted or destroyed. In this circumstance, you can convert the OST file to PST format to retrieve the data easily. Unable to Access or Orphaned OST File, The process of synchronizing from the mailbox (OST) to the server might be disrupted if the Exchange profile is deactivated or inactive. The OST file in this case is regarded as an orphaned file. You must change the file’s format to PST to retrieve the contents in an orphaned OST file.
OST files can be converted into PST files in a variety of methods. The techniques for converting an OST file to a PST file are listed below.
Utilize the Outlook Import/Export Wizard as Method 1
You can use the Outlook Import and Export wizard to convert an OST file to a PST one. The following steps:
- Make that your Outlook account is synchronized with your Exchange profile and that you have the correct login information.
- Launch Microsoft Outlook, go to the File menu, and select ‘Import and Export
- Go to the ‘Export to a file’ option and choose ‘Next.’
- Click on Outlook Data File (.pst), then choose it.
- Click “Next” after choosing the folder you want to convert.
- Select the directory where you wish to save the output file (a PST file) by clicking “Browse” and then “Select.”
- Select “Finish. “Select” the directory where you wish to save the output file (a PST file) by clicking “Browse” and then “Select.”
- Select “Finish.”
Use the Archive option in Method 2 to transfer mailbox data to PST.
To transfer older emails or other data from Exchange file to Outlook PST, you can also utilize Outlook’s Archive feature. Observe these steps:
- Launch the Outlook program from Microsoft.
- Select the Archive option under Cleanup Tools on the File menu.
- To archive it, select the appropriate folder.
- Browse the directory where you saved the archived file.
- To finish, click.
Note: Except for the contacts, all Exchange data can be converted to PST format using this procedure.
Method 3: The drag-and-drop approach
Additionally, you have the option to drag and drop things into a freshly created PST file. Take these actions:
- Open Microsoft Outlook on your computer.
- Within your Outlook profile, make a brand-new PST file.
- Drag and drag the necessary objects or folders into the newly formed file.
Notable: You cannot drag and drop items into a PST file’s Inbox, Contacts, or default folders.
Professional Tool to Get Exchange files to Outlook PST format
The manual techniques outlined above are free to use, but they take a lot of effort and technical knowledge. Additionally, they will only function if the Exchange file and Outlook profile are both open for access. Use the OST to PST conversion application TrustVare OST to PST Converter to convert OST to PST without the difficulties and restrictions of manual approaches. With this expert program, you can quickly convert the OST file into PST format while keeping the hierarchy and organization of your mail items, such as messages, attachments, notes, calendars, contacts, journals, etc. In addition, you can convert orphaned and inaccessible OST files and save the results in PST. All MS Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, and older versions are all compatible with the program.
For several reasons, including an Exchange Server crash, a huge Exchange file size, server maintenance, and mailbox corruption, you must convert Exchange data into PST. The procedures listed above can be used to convert an Exchange file to a PST file for use in Outlook. It can assist you in quickly converting an Exchange file into a PST file while preserving the mailbox’s hierarchy and structure.